Food Allergens – Top Tips
Now that the The Food Information Regulations 2014 are in force (see Regulation (EC) No. 1169/2011 for the detailed requirements) our top tips are intended to help you to achieve compliance :
- Read the Food Standards Authority leaflet.
- Work through the FSA list of food allergens.
- Check that you are aware of the implications that allergens raise.
- Check that you have a system that provides information regarding allergenic ingredients for foods on sale.
- Establish a way of checking that the information is accurate, consistent and verifiable. You may wish to keep a record of original packaging or product information that you are given.
- Think about using the FSA matrix to record information if you do not have something else in place already.
- Review your cleaning and hygiene processes so that they are effective in removing allergens.